Monday, February 17, 2014

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

How much education and practice is necessary to perform on cue on a daily basis consistently over the years?

Allen Iverson of the Philadelphia 76er's basketball team gave his famous version of the value of practice: "If I can't practice, I can't practice man.  If I'm hurt, I'm hurt.  I mean...simple as that.  It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all.  You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice.  We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice.  I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice.  Not a game.  Not, not... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last.  Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man.  I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that...And I'm not... I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything.  I know it's important I do.  I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man.  What are we talking about?  Practice?  We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd]  We're talking about practice.  We're talking about practice.  We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter]  We're talking about practice, man.  When you come to the area, and you see me play, you see me play don't you?  You've seen me give everything I've got, right?  But we're talking about practice right now.  We talking about pr..."


The reality of medicine is that it takes endless practice, education, simulations, added on to experience to perform up to par on a daily basis.  The more prepared in advanced one is, they are ready to deal with most problems in an organized fashion.

Having an epiphany of insight in a stressful moment is a rare, cosmic occurrence and can not be relied on.  Bottom line, even though most of us are competent, experienced professionals we should Practice, Practice, Practice!



No comments:

Post a Comment