- The illness arrived by plane.
- The illness is spread by direct contact.
- The illness is contained in a “wormlike parasite” which looks very similar the electron microscope pictures of the Ebola virus.
- The victim proceeds to transmit the illness directly to their immediate contacts (the people they love).
- The Centers for Disease Control are both the heroes and villains.
- Decisions about protecting the community are a complex interaction between fact, fiction, political issues, financial issues, and last medical issues.
Before everybody gets upset, the reality of Emergency Medicine is that it is traditionally a reactive specialty that once it identifies the specific threat it is nimble and organized to create policies to avoid missing the next case.