- Data migration- the process of transferring data between storage types, formats or computer systems.
- System migration - the tasks involved when moving data and applications from current hardware to new hardware.
- Adoption of an enterprise system that co-opts prior vendors.
- Adopting a product for meaningful use funds and/or e-Prescribing.
- General discontent for the present system.
- Lack of support from prior vendor.
- New products have "wow-factors" the save FTEs.
- New ownership wants to consolidate their practice to one format, etc.
Avoid "re-inventing the wheel" by having these discussions with all parties to provide a smooth transition. Do not suffer from inertia- the tendency of a body to maintain its state of rest unless acted upon by an external force. Making changes to improve productivity, work-flow are always in your best interest.